When developing web pages, I use my Mac’s built-in Apache or MAMP.app. Viewing the page means using an address such as http://localhost/mypage.html. I decided to make my life a little easier by writing an AppleScript that looks at the open tabs in Chrome and Safari then replaces “localhost” (or custom domain) with my current IP address. Saving this as a service enables me to go to Chrome > Services to run the script.
Today I decided to whip up an AppleScript that automates the generation of the
<file> nodes to make my life a little easier. If you’re on a Mac, you may find it useful, too.
With just a little effort, you can declutter the root of your SCORM package by sticking the schema files in a subfolder.
I was reading the SCORM 1.2 reference docs today. I wanted to copy a passage for my notes, but the PDF is password-protected and prevents anyone from copying text. (REALLY irritating, considering the ADL is a quasi-government organization and the docs should be open to all.) What to do? Well, turns out there are at least two super easy ways to bypass the password protection: Upload it to Google Drive or import it to Evernote. Google Drive The Google Drive site includes a built-in PDF reader; when I opened the PDF in the web viewer, I was able to copy …
iTunes vexes me. For better or for worse, we’re an Apple household and own an Apple TV, so I’m kind of stuck with iTunes for managing my media files.
My wife and I have also purchased a significant amount of DVDs over the years, which I ripped to iTunes using the trusty old Handbrake (love you, Handbrake!). These DVDs include a lot of TV shows, such as Doctor Who and Magnum PI.
My workflow has always been: rip via Handbrake, then import into iTunes by dragging the m4v files onto the iTunes window. By default, the TV shows don’t have any metadata (no proper titles, descriptions, episode numbers, or artwork), and iTunes automatically files them under Movies. This means they’ll show up in Apple TV with no description, no preview picture (such as DVD box art), and no sequence information.
I recently changed jobs (Hello, FireEye!) and was issued a new MacBook Air. I spend a lot of time looking at the screen and was getting bored with the supplied desktop pictures. I also start work very early most days (7am-ish), and thought it would be nice to have a desktop picture that matches the mellow-ness of such an early hour. Of course, this leads to daydreaming — “scope creep” in professional parlance — and next thing you know, I started thinking “well, maybe I could also set it to show a nice evening-themed picture at night”. Then “maybe I …
Over the last few weeks, I received a few reports that scores were not being saved in the LMS when using my template. Turns out there was a simple oversight on my part, and the issue is fixed. Please download the latest version (v1.20120328) from GitHub.
Since the code for my templates will remain on GitHub, I highly suggest checking in from time to time to see if the code has been updated. I won’t be posting a blog entry on pipwerks.com for every little edit I make to the code.
I decided to post the revised Adobe Captivate publishing template to GitHub, where it can be easily copied, forked, and updated. I moved a few bits of markup/code around, added some configuration options (such as the ability to turn off centering, turn on logging, and require SCORM when loading), and added a ton of comments to explain some of the new options. Hopefully it’s all self-explanatory.