I had a hard time sorting this out, so I figured I’d post it in case anyone else needs to know.
Assumptions: You have Parallels v4 for Mac, and have already created an Ubuntu 8.10 image.
- Launch your Ubuntu image (in window mode).
- Go to Virtual Machine > Install Parallels Tools
- A dialog box appears. It contains vague instructions that aren’t very helpful for Linux newbies (hence this blog post). Ignore the instructions and click “continue”.
- A CD icon appears on the desktop, and the window opens displaying the CD contents. You won’t be clicking anything in this window, so go ahead and close it.
- Launch the Terminal by going to Applications > Accessories > Terminal
- Next run the installer by typing
sudo sh /cdrom/installand pressing the return button on the keyboard. You will be prompted to enter your system administrator password.
- The Parallels Tools installer appears. Follow the instructions.
That’s it! You’ll need to reboot the virtual machine, and then you’re good to go.