Interesting stats from Google: SCORM is clearly on the decline, as is AICC, but both still much stronger than xAPI (aka Tin Can), which is barely registering.
Today I decided to whip up an AppleScript that automates the generation of the
<file> nodes to make my life a little easier. If you’re on a Mac, you may find it useful, too.
With just a little effort, you can declutter the root of your SCORM package by sticking the schema files in a subfolder.
Made a minor update: scorm.quit() was setting a value (cmi.exit) but not invoking scorm.save() (aka Commit()) prior to termination.
View the latest update on GitHub
Over the last few weeks, I received a few reports that scores were not being saved in the LMS when using my template. Turns out there was a simple oversight on my part, and the issue is fixed. Please download the latest version (v1.20120328) from GitHub.
Since the code for my templates will remain on GitHub, I highly suggest checking in from time to time to see if the code has been updated. I won’t be posting a blog entry on pipwerks.com for every little edit I make to the code.
I decided to post the revised Adobe Captivate publishing template to GitHub, where it can be easily copied, forked, and updated. I moved a few bits of markup/code around, added some configuration options (such as the ability to turn off centering, turn on logging, and require SCORM when loading), and added a ton of comments to explain some of the new options. Hopefully it’s all self-explanatory.
I’ve heard rumors that the upcoming Captivate 6 will contain a completely revamped SCORM system that eliminates many of the issues I’ve covered. If this is the case, many of us will surely be elated, perhaps enough to pay for yet another upgrade. This could also help explain why Adobe hasn’t addressed the current SCORM publishing template; a complete overhaul of the existing SCORM system — including the ActionScript code inside the published SWFs — is a considerable amount of work.
For this blog post, I was going to write a summary of the changes to the template and wrap up the series. Instead, I’m looking at ways to increase the template’s flexibility and hot-rod it for some cool other stuff.